For those of you that are actually wondering about this, and I had no idea that it was so possible to think so, a post that recommends children dress up as a care worker for halloween… Satire or not?
Let’s take wikipedia’s word for it on this, because I do not believe that this issue deserves any kind of authority behind it, no more than it would take to dress up as a particularly large ear of cauliflower.
Starting to get the message yet? Good.
‘Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement. Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.’
So, I hear you ask: ‘So Eddy was simultaneously ridiculing the overly cautious nature of today’s society while simultaneously emulating one of his rants in an extremely over the top and stupid manner to make both a statement about the world we live in and get a cheap laugh?’
Precisely I answer, but I’m sure that even that is probably not satisfying for some people so let me give you a little extra.
I fully approve the use of costumes that do all of the following:
- look stupid
- poorly emulate the demonic creature they’re supposed to represent
- look reasonable
- look like a member of the KKK because the wrong part of the sheet was used
- look brilliant
- scare the living crap out of an unsuspecting old person (because really, if you actually believed I’m worried about children dressed as an entirely unconvincing Shaun the sheep giving old people a heart attack you obviously haven’t paid much attention to my (shamelessly displayed on here) political and social attitudes)
- get candy
- don’t get candy
- walk swim
- sideways walk swim
- win you a contest
- win you a Frank West
- hides the fact that your mother recently killed herself
- hides the fact that your mother seeks thrills from elves
- hides the fact that your brother hides pills on shelves
- hides the rack that your father keeps porn for after twelve
Now, do you understand? This list above, was a silly unfunny parody of a silly unfunny parody.
A sillyception if you will.
It is not to be taken seriously, because there’s nothing serious about it.
Any further questions?